Thursday, October 9, 2008

Fargo Means Fabulous...

During a fabulous meal recently with friends in the Fargo, North Dakota area (www.wfmaxwells.com), I casually commented that all wines (Rosenblum Cabernet and Chardonnay) poured were from California and that I wanted to try the North Dakota wines. Before I could pull my foot out of my mouth, one of our hosts returned with great ceremony to present me with two bottles of North Dakota wine – Rubarb wine and Honey Comb Plum wine from Maple River Winery (www.mapleriverwinery.com) in Casselton, North Dakota. I soon learned that the Peace Garden State has at least four wineries (http://www.chiff.com/wine/n-america/north-dakota.htm) producing a variety of wines that embody the unique character and spirit of the region in which they are produced. My friends also told me to serve the wine chilled – advice that I plan to take. Following my return to California, I shared my experience with some oenophile friends, one of whom was a Minnesota native who exclaimed that she loved rhubarb. Start chilling that Rhubarb wine now, we have a winner!

This was a humbling reminder that each of our fifty states has at least one winery, not just California, Oregon and Washington. A future blog post will be dedicated to some of my favorites.

Best, Joe Plonk

www.drinkplonk.com

No comments: