Thursday, March 26, 2009

Santa Plonk is Coming to Town (in March)!

After the Mollydooker strikeout (see prior post), I was tasked with buying a gift bottle to bring to a nice restaurant in San Francisco. My budget is $150, so the sky is (almost) the limit. Our honored guest must have been very good to somebody for this wonderful gift. I now know what Santa Claus feels like as he tries to figure out how to get the biggest, best-est present off his sleigh and down the chimney to some deserving child.

Santa Plonk is flush with good ideas about exotic wines from far off places, but knows that he must deliver … and deliver big for this important evening. After brief thoughts of Chateauneuf-du-Pape and Super Tuscans, I settled on Napa Cabernet. The reindeer well knew the say to the Wine Club in Santa Clara. As I approached the door, I wondered whether the staff would recognize me in my new red outfit and my jolly Ro-Ro-Ro as I passed the usual value-priced offerings for the big boy toys. Should I search for vaunted glories such as Chateau Montelena, Caymus Special Selection, Joseph Phelps Insignia and Opus One, or take a bold step newer cult wines? The mere mention of those wines made Santa Plonk’s cheeks rosy, and gave him a warm feeling inside.

‘Twas Christmas in March and all through the cellar,
There were wonderful wines, but nothing quite stellar.
So, out the Wine Club Santa lept with a cheer,
With fine Cabernet for friends and reindeer.
Dance swing, dance jive and dance honkey-tonk,
Because Christmas coming from dear Santa Plonk. (la-la la-la laaah, la-la la-la laaah)

Tune in Monday when we will reveal Santa Plonk’s selection, and whether it was a hit or a miss at the party.

Best, Joe Plonk

Click for Drink Plonk Home Page

No comments: