Thursday, February 19, 2009

Top Five Glasses of Wine (#4 -- 1994 Colgin Herb Lamb Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon)

It was the perfect opportunity to make a statement. While at an important business dinner at Jean George in New York in 1997, my host passed the wine list to me. I was up to the challenge, ordering a wonderful 1991 Robert Sinskey Pinot Noir to go with appetizers followed by the 1994 Colgin Herb Lamb Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon for the main course. Joe Plonk is never shy when it comes to ordering expensive wine on somebody else’s business account. At that time, Colgin Cellars wasn’t the household name that it was today, and it was my first experience with this “cult” wine also. Eyebrows were raised when the sommelier approached with the bottle with lipstick on the label. This wine did not disappoint, and made me a hero to those at the table. I even received a nice note back from Anne Colgin responding to an email about my story.

The Colgin had incredibly concentrated fruit flavors were both supple and rich, with the perfect balance of earth and chocolate on the finish. While somewhat tight right out of the bottle, its freakishly vibrant flavors have remained on my pallet to this day, and is perhaps the greatest wine I have ever tasted. With its current price for the latest vintage at $290 per bottle, this is a bittersweet memory since…well… you know…

Best, Joe Plonk

Click for Drink Plonk Home Page

No comments: