Thursday, May 21, 2009

The Real American Idol: Helen Turley


Let’s hear what our judges have to say:

Randy Jackson, “Yo, yo, yo, yo, Helen… check this out. For me, for you, that zinfandel you made for your brother Larry’s winery was the perfect varietal choice for you. The way you took that classic California zinfandel, and made it into your own, was really off the charts. I loved the Hayne Vineyard, Dusi Vineyard and the Howell Moutain Black-Sears. I thought you got a little bit pitchy with the Juvenile – oops, I guess that wasn’t yours anyway. Listen, dog, you can really make wine.”

Then there was some nonsensical, white-noise that I didn’t understand or listen to.

Paula Abdul, just sitting down from her dancing, “I think you bring something special to each wine you make. I thought your Martinelli wines were just wonderful. You bring such power and finesse every time you go into the cellar. You’re ready to make wine right now. There are three names that matter in winemaking, and they are Baron Philippe de Rothschild, Robert Mondavi and you, Helen Turley.”

Simon Cowell, “Well, I think I’m going to have to agree with Paula and Randy on this one, but I don’t think they’ve quite got it right. Your Marcassin chardonnay and pinot noir are your best, and the 2003 Marcassin Blue Slide Ridge Vineyard Sonoma Coast Pinot Noir is the best wine in this competition. Well done."

So, there you have it, my friends. Helen Turley – the Real American Idol.

Best, Joe Plonk

Click for Drink Plonk Home Page

No comments: