Thursday, September 18, 2008

I Entered this World Barefoot...

I entered this world of wine through a glass of Barefoot Chardonnay. Wine was not part of the household in which I grew up, so my early view of wine derived from typical stereotypical wine caricatures – snooty French restaurants, the Grey Poupon set, and Lucille Ball hysterically stomping around in a vat of grapes. My college roommate’s infatuation with Bartles & Jaymes certainly didn’t help. But, years later, there came a time that a glass of Barefoot Chardonnay occasionally appeared in front of me at dinner. I never had that Eureka moment, instead my enjoyment increased slowly over time. Notable stepping stones along the path for me included Mirassou Pinot Noir (through the 5th generation anyway), then Louis M. Martini Cabernet and to others. In each step my understanding and appreciation increased, with my interest in dry white wine graduating to near fanaticism over big, bold reds. [No, it is not lost on me that each of the aforementioned brands are currently owned by Gallo. I just don’t know what it all means.]

No matter what your path, savor the journey and don’t forget your important first steps along the way.

Best, Joe Plonk

www.drinkplonk.com

No comments: