Monday, September 15, 2008

Sommelier, sommelier, let down your hair…

In certain contexts, I agree that wine can be a tricky subject. The idea that a restaurant has somebody who understands both the wine and the cuisine is a great idea. Why is it that the reality is so disappointing? Sommeliers of the world, take notice:

- Stop with the arrogance. While you should know more about the wine list, don’t assume you know everything and I know nothing about wine. Get to know your customer’s level of intelligence on wine and interest in discussion. Don’t prance by like you found the fountain of eternal youth. You are not wearing an Olympic silver medal.

- Price is not all-important. If I don’t pick the most expensive bottle, that doesn’t mean you should treat me worse. If the wine is good enough to be on your wine list, you should treat it like it is important. The customer didn’t make the wine list, you or your employer did. Don’t blame me if I pick something you put on the list.

- Get to know my interests. If I like Zinfandel, help me find one that matches my pallet and my meal. I’m happy to try a different label or region, but don’t point me towards Bordeaux if that is not what I requested. If you think there is a Bordeaux that is perfect for my meal, ask me if you can make suggestions.

- Check back during the meal. Even if you don’t approve of the wine, check back later to see if it pairs well with the meal. I may have a question for you. Also, perhaps you could even learn something from your customers. Briefly checking back makes a big difference for your customers, which will likely be reflected in the tip at the end of the meal.

The strangest advice I ever got from a Sommelier was at a fancy seafood restaurant in Orlando in June. When I asked for his opinion on a bottle, he tersely replied “Doesn’t go with seafood.” A restaurant with the words “Crab House” in the name seemed like a seafood restaurant to me, so I wonder what that particular bottle was doing on the wine list in the first place. Perhaps it was a trap for weary tourists like myself. In olden days, I would have asked him to step out side for a duel. I couldn’t wait for that guy to leave the table. My guess is that the proprietors of that establishment didn’t hire this guy to alienate me, but he sure did.

The whole reason for Drink Plonk is to provide information about wine so that consumers can make informed decisions. Sommelier, sommelier, I’d love to try again – please let down your hair. Just meet me half way this time.

Best, Joe Plonk

www.drinkplonk.com

No comments: